DAY 9 OF 30: BABA JIDE LOW
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “Pretties / Serpent,” a Nigerian secretary is transformed, both spiritually and physically, when she is hired at a new job by The Boss.
You know, Floyd Eileen was once a church girl.
That good soul still wants to shine through her, which is why her skirts never rise above the knee, and her teeth are always minty fresh after she gets off her knees from praying to Him. She wears lipstick now that she works here, and she pays attention to the sunburn of her gold jewelry, the choke of her own scent.
Floyd is a Secretary to the Boss, who has a hundred and one Secretaries stalking the halls of the Office of Inflammations, long-limbed and supple, their fishnets lacerating like untethered tongues, their pastel and leather suits impeccable, choice jewelry sparkling and clinking small small.
The impact of their heels against the clean marble is like gunshots, as the ones not active with Him inside the Head Office laugh and scream with themselves . . .
—Pretties / Serpent by BABA JIDE LOW
ABOUT: BABA JIDE LOW
Baba Jide Low is an experiment in Nigerian horror texts. They have no body, race, class, age, or gender. All they want to do with their non-existence is birth macabre tales for your delight. They will write a book, after they have written enough stories to satisfy a hunger. They currently dwell: @babajidelow.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html