DAY 15 OF 30: GENE O’NEILL
15. Gene O’Neill presents “Ring Rust”
14. H. Pueyo presents “Death Republic”
13. Scotty Milder presents “Giant and Child: A Fugue”
12. Lucy Taylor presents “If You Touch Me, I Can Cry”
11. Terry Dowling presents “The Key to Mabella”
10. Christi Nogle presents “The Apartment”
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “Ring Rust,” a boxer finds that age and declining health aren’t the only things to fear in a fizzling career.
Even though Sandoval remained confident, he was sweating heavily, as he came out for the referee’s instructions. A minute or so after the opening bell, he realized he might be in some serious trouble. Overall, he felt mentally and physically sluggish, moving in slow motion, like he was wading in energy-sucking, thick mud. His reaction time was definitely off; he was missing obvious openings, and not able to avoid punches, even the ones he saw coming—fortunately the guy’s punches weren’t really heavy.
Wiping his face after the first round and smearing Vaseline on the fresh cut scar, Mac asked, “What’s wrong Danny? You should be easily avoiding all of this bum’s punches, they’re telegraphed, man. And he’s left himself open for your left hook to the liver, two or three times now.”
Sandoval just shrugged, not able to respond verbally, having difficulty just catching his breath, much less talking.
“Maybe it’s just ring rust,” Mac said . . .
—Ring Rust by GENE O’NEILL
ABOUT: GENE O’NEILL
Gene O’Neill has seen about 200 of his stories and novellas published, several reprinted in France, Spain, and Russia. Some of these stories have been collected in Ghost Spirits, Computers & World Machines; The Grand Struggle; In Dark Corners; Dance of the Blue Lady; The Hitchhiking Effect; Lethal Birds; and Frozen Shadows and Other Chilling Stories. He has seen six novels published. Gene has been a Stoker finalist twelve times. In 2010 Taste of Tenderloin won the haunted house for Collection; in 2012 The Blue Heron won for Long Fiction. The fourth book in The Crime Files of Katy Green recently appeared from Dark Moon Books—A Stick of Doublemint. Independent Legions recently reprinted a novel, Lost Tribe. Entangled Soul & Other Stories, a collection collaboration with Chris Marrs was recently released by Omnium Gatherum. Gene and Gord Rollo have a collaborative novel about Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Kiss of Death coming out soon from Thunderstorm Books in a limited hardback and trade paperback from Omnium Gatherum. Gene’s huge novel The White Plague will be out early next year from Silver Shamrock Publishing. He is currently working on two collaborations on other books with Gord Rollo and Michael Bailey.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html