DAY 10 OF 30: CHRISTI NOGLE
10. Christi Nogle presents “The Apartment”
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “The Apartment,” a young woman moves to the city, only to find her dreams of a happy life manifest in unexpected ways.
…It was just like in the movie scenes of young people viewing apartments in the city. The tiny space seemed large to us, those floors a marvel. The fireplace could not be used but would add atmosphere. The window looked out on horrors but brought in buckets of cheerful light.
This is someone else’s dream, I thought.
“Are you sure?” I said just as scripted. “All this, for this price?”
It didn’t seem fair. These were someone else’s hopes coming true (and this was a trap, too, a way for the city to keep me close), but still I flushed and stammered as I signed the papers. I mirrored back the real estate lady’s broad, wet, desperate smile.
Ruth looked on, triumphant.
—The Apartment by CHRISTI NOGLE
ABOUT: CHRISTI NOGLE
Christi Nogle is the author of the novel Beulah from Cemetery Gates Media. You can find more of her recent work in Vastarien, Fusion Fragment, Underland Arcana, Mixtape: 1986 from The Dread Machine, What One Wouldn’t Do from Scott J. Moses, Humans Are the Problem from Weird Little Worlds, and Flame Tree Press’s Chilling Crime Stories. Christi is an active member of HWA and SFWA. Follow her at christinogle.com or on Twitter @christinogle.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html