DAY 28 OF 30: MICHAEL JAMES
28. Michael James presents “Attention”
27. Darren Todd presents “8-Ball”
26. Charlie Hughes presents “The Riverman”
25. Trevor James Zaple presents “Like Old Rope”
24. Suki Litchfield presents “The Kid in the Ambulance”
23. Liam Hogan presents “In the Devil’s Footsteps”
22. Brady Golden presents “Neon Showgirl”
21. Darren O. Godfrey presents “Discovery of Blanks”
20. Zoe Kaplan presents “The Test”
19. Colin Leonard presents “The Burning Heart”
18. David Afsharirad presents “just keep walking”
17. William Meikle presents “Gateway to Oblivion”
16. Valya Dudycz Lupescu presents “The Tooth Butcher”
15. Gene O’Neill presents “Ring Rust”
14. H. Pueyo presents “Death Republic”
13. Scotty Milder presents “Giant and Child: A Fugue”
12. Lucy Taylor presents “If You Touch Me, I Can Cry”
11. Terry Dowling presents “The Key to Mabella”
10. Christi Nogle presents “The Apartment”
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “Attention,” an unfaithful young man, mourning the death of his girlfriend, finds himself at the center of all the attention he once craved.
His girlfriend’s grandmother took him
aside to speak with him privately. She was a stately woman, stern and buttoned,
with tight hair and thin lips. He recalled she was from Canada.
“This must be hard.” She was of a height with him, and he found himself slouching under her presence.
“For both of us, ma’am.” He attempted to convey weary maturity. Her lips, already sliver thin, retreated farther.
“I’ve heard stories about you, Scott.”
“All good, I hope.” The line and the smile came out on instinct before he could call it back.
“Not quite.” She brushed a single finger against his cheek. “I hope you continue to get the attention you seem to enjoy. Good day.”
Nothing about the way she’d said the word “attention” worked for him. The pause. The way her dark eyes flickered. The way his cheek burned where she’d touched him . . .
—Attention by MICHAEL JAMES
ABOUT: MICHAEL JAMES
Michael James is the author of the Hotel series, and his work has been featured in Bear Creek Gazette, Sci Fi Lampoon, and Ink and Sword Magazine. His book, The Hotel at the End of Time, was nominated by his mom for “best books written by my son” and placed a close second.
He lives in Canada with his family and when he’s not writing he’s doing Canadian things—talking about the weather, saying sorry a lot, you know how it goes. You can find him on Twitter at @MikeJamesAuthor.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html