DAY 29 OF 30: MATT THOMPSON
29. Matt Thompson presents “Ring Road”
28. Michael James presents “Attention”
27. Darren Todd presents “8-Ball”
26. Charlie Hughes presents “The Riverman”
25. Trevor James Zaple presents “Like Old Rope”
24. Suki Litchfield presents “The Kid in the Ambulance”
23. Liam Hogan presents “In the Devil’s Footsteps”
22. Brady Golden presents “Neon Showgirl”
21. Darren O. Godfrey presents “Discovery of Blanks”
20. Zoe Kaplan presents “The Test”
19. Colin Leonard presents “The Burning Heart”
18. David Afsharirad presents “just keep walking”
17. William Meikle presents “Gateway to Oblivion”
16. Valya Dudycz Lupescu presents “The Tooth Butcher”
15. Gene O’Neill presents “Ring Rust”
14. H. Pueyo presents “Death Republic”
13. Scotty Milder presents “Giant and Child: A Fugue”
12. Lucy Taylor presents “If You Touch Me, I Can Cry”
11. Terry Dowling presents “The Key to Mabella”
10. Christi Nogle presents “The Apartment”
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “Ring Road,” a young woman is followed by a mysterious white car wherever she drives.
The white car was closer behind than ever.
The sky over the outskirts of town had turned the shade of an ash-pile, and the radio played a song Fran half-recognized. She tried to hum along. Her throat was too dry, though, and she could only manage a rough croak. She merged into the line of vehicles turning left onto the ring road. The white car, of course, turned along with her. They joined the three lanes of traffic speeding out of town. Fingers trembling on the steering wheel, she eased into the middle lane to overtake a Mini Cooper.
The white car overtook it too.
She wanted to floor the accelerator, to screech onto the hard shoulder, swerving in and around the lorries with their Polish license plates and the tourist coaches with their slack-eyed children gazing out of the rear windows, pummeling out to the motorway as unburdened as a seagull. But she only signaled left and pulled back into the slow lane, a chevron-length in front of the Mini, leaving nowhere near enough space for another vehicle to slot itself in between. The white car pulled in behind her anyway . . .
—Ring Road by MATT THOMPSON
ABOUT: MATT THOMPSON
Matt Thompson is a London-based experimental musician and writer of strange fictions. His work has been published at Interzone, Black Static, PseudoPod, Third Flatiron Publishing, Best of British SF anthology series, and many more worthy venues. You can find him online at http://matt-thompson.com.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html