DAY 23 OF 30: LIAM HOGAN
23. Liam Hogan presents “In the Devil’s Footsteps”
22. Brady Golden presents “Neon Showgirl”
21. Darren O. Godfrey presents “Discovery of Blanks”
20. Zoe Kaplan presents “The Test”
19. Colin Leonard presents “The Burning Heart”
18. David Afsharirad presents “just keep walking”
17. William Meikle presents “Gateway to Oblivion”
16. Valya Dudycz Lupescu presents “The Tooth Butcher”
15. Gene O’Neill presents “Ring Rust”
14. H. Pueyo presents “Death Republic”
13. Scotty Milder presents “Giant and Child: A Fugue”
12. Lucy Taylor presents “If You Touch Me, I Can Cry”
11. Terry Dowling presents “The Key to Mabella”
10. Christi Nogle presents “The Apartment”
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “In the Devil’s Footsteps,” Satan’s steed carries a young horseman into nightmare visions of humanity.
I turned down the devil’s offer of “best of three?” and claimed my prize: the midnight-black, fire-snorting mount known as Nightmare. For a young man running away from home, a horse seemed just the thing, but the ancient oak that marked the borders of the family farm was barely out of sight over my shoulder before I began to have serious doubts. I wasn’t a natural horseman and it was quickly obvious I wasn’t the one in control. I’d had no particular destination in mind, but that magnificent and terrifying steed took me places I would never have gone by choice.
thundering hooves left flaming prints in our wake and a swirling cloud engulfed
us as we rode, pierced by Nightmare’s coal-red eyes. Little wonder no obstacles
dared stand in our path . . .
—In the Devil’s Footsteps by LIAM HOGAN
ABOUT: LIAM HOGAN
Liam Hogan is an award-winning short story writer, with stories in Best of British Science Fiction, and Best of British Fantasy (NewCon Press). He’s been published by Analog, Daily Science Fiction, and Flame Tree Press, among others. He helps host Liars’ League London, volunteers at the creative writing charity Ministry of Stories, and lives and avoids work in London. More details at http://happyendingnotguaranteed.blogspot.co.uk.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html