ANNOUNCING: I’m posting all contributors, one-a-day, to reveal the Table of Contents for +Horror Library+ Volume 7, to be published by Dark Moon Books on March 1, 2022!
DAY 19 OF 30: COLIN LEONARD
19. Colin Leonard presents “The Burning Heart”
18. David Afsharirad presents “just keep walking”
17. William Meikle presents “Gateway to Oblivion”
16. Valya Dudycz Lupescu presents “The Tooth Butcher”
15. Gene O’Neill presents “Ring Rust”
14. H. Pueyo presents “Death Republic”
13. Scotty Milder presents “Giant and Child: A Fugue”
12. Lucy Taylor presents “If You Touch Me, I Can Cry”
11. Terry Dowling presents “The Key to Mabella”
10. Christi Nogle presents “The Apartment”
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “The Burning Heart,” an Irish teen watches his brother’s downward spiral into lovesick grief and the occult.
We shared a room, my brother and I. Although we were breaking into manhood, we were still only boys really, under our father’s roof. In the summer, we preferred to sleep with the window open for air but that would also let in the insects. I thought it was a wasp that woke me, buzzing and biting. I swatted at my face but it wasn’t the noise of a stinger that had caused me to wake. Sean was kneeling down by his bed, droning low and constant. It was still deep in the night. There was a black candle before him, jammed into a split stone, the flame long and dancing, smoke curling toward the window. He was repeating a sentence to himself. I made out the words fire and love . . .
—The Burning Heart by COLIN LEONARD
ABOUT: COLIN LEONARD
Colin Leonard lives in rural Co. Meath, Ireland, beneath the hills from which the ancient Samhain festivals spawned Halloween. His stories have been published in the magazines Dark Tales, Frost Zone Zine, Fudoki, and The Harrow. His flash fiction appears in anthologies from Black Hare Press, Breaking Rules Publishing, and Ghost Orchid Press.
More at: twitter.com/collyleonard and at his website: www.collyleonard.com.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.