ANNOUNCING: I’m posting all contributors, one-a-day, to reveal the Table of Contents for +Horror Library+ Volume 7, to be published by Dark Moon Books on March 1, 2022!
DAY 20 OF 30: ZOE KAPLAN
20. Zoe Kaplan presents “The Test”
19. Colin Leonard presents “The Burning Heart”
18. David Afsharirad presents “just keep walking”
17. William Meikle presents “Gateway to Oblivion”
16. Valya Dudycz Lupescu presents “The Tooth Butcher”
15. Gene O’Neill presents “Ring Rust”
14. H. Pueyo presents “Death Republic”
13. Scotty Milder presents “Giant and Child: A Fugue”
12. Lucy Taylor presents “If You Touch Me, I Can Cry”
11. Terry Dowling presents “The Key to Mabella”
10. Christi Nogle presents “The Apartment”
9. Baba Jide Low presents “Pretties / Serpent”
8. Kristi Petersen Schoonover presents “February Thaw”
7. Bentley Little presents “In the Valley”
6. Rex Burrows presents “Skandalopetra”
5. Alex Woodroe presents “Abandon”
4. Cody Goodfellow presents “Hand of Glory”
3. Natalia Theodoridou presents “The Mouth”
2. Jo Kaplan presents “Her. House.”
1. Michael Harris Cohen presents “Never Better”
In “The Test,” a man takes on a gameshow challenge to eat ten pineapples in exchange for reward money needed to pay for medical costs.
In front of me on the table sat ten pineapples. Ten sets of yellow hexagons fading to green at the bottom, ten majestic crowns of leaves. All I had to do was eat them, and everything would be okay. Laura would be okay.
. . . I finished the
first quarter in silence. It was already more pineapple than I’d ever eaten in
one sitting, but it was still pretty good. More like a weird food craving day
than a punishment. I started in on the second quarter, listening to the rustle
of the audience. I found myself wondering why they were here. Personally, I’d
never seen the appeal of watching other human beings do awful things to
themselves, but I must have been alone in that, because The Test was absurdly
—The Test by ZOE KAPLAN
ABOUT: ZOE KAPLAN
Zoe Kaplan (she/her) has been making up stories for as long as she can remember. She has a bachelor’s in creative writing from Appalachian State University and no less than four different swords. Her work has appeared in Flash Point SF, Quantum Fairy Tales, and The Peel. You can find her on twitter @the_z_part.
Publisher’s Page: http://www.darkmoonbooks.com/Horror_Library_7.html
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.