DAY 16 of 27: C. Michael Cook
1. JG Faherty presents “The H Train”
2. Edward M. Erdelac presents “Hear The Eagle Scream”
3. Rebecca J. Allred presents “Mother’s Mouth, Full of Dirt”
4. Jay Caselberg presents “The Ride”
5. John M. Floyd presents “The Red-Eye to Boston”
6. Tom Johnstone presents “Oldstone Gardens”
7. Bentley Little presents “The Plumber”
8. Darren O. Godfrey presents “D.U.I.”
9. Carole Johnstone presents “Better You Believe”
10. David Tallerman presents “Casualty of Peace”
11. Kathryn E. McGee presents “The Creek Keepers’ Lodge”
12. Jeffrey Ford presents “Five Pointed Spell”
13. Sean Eads presents “Predestination’s a Bitch”
14. Dean H. Wild presents “The Gaff”
15. Stephanie Bedwell-Grime presents “The Night Truck”
16. C. Michael Cook presents “The Night Crier”
Ed hurried downstairs. He grabbed the rifle and flashlight and went outside.
The night air felt like ice water against his skin. He headed toward the woods, stopping every few yards to listen, adjusting his course each time the bird cried out. He marveled at the darkened houses around him, at the way others could sleep through this, their husbands and wives beside them, their children safe in the next room.
He crossed the street and stopped at the tree line. It was colder here. Darker, too. It smelled of moist earth and life waiting to emerge.
He waited for the night crier’s call…
— The Night Crier by C. Michael Cook
ABOUT: C. Michael Cook
C. Michael Cook is a Pushcart Prize-nominated writer whose work has appeared in The Baybury Review, Unspeakable Horror, and two previous volumes of The Horror Library. He lives, writes, and rides bicycles in Chicago, where he’s currently at work on his first novel. He can be found at cmichaelcook.com and cmichaelcook.blogspot.com.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.